Who is God to me?

As I was blog hopping I stopped by At the Well, one of my favorite blogs, and they have started a new study.  It's a study that Jenifer Jernigan from By His Grace Ministry is teaching.  This is week 1 and the discussion question is "Who is God to You?"


Photobucket



I can't help but think about the book, The Shack and God being portrayed as a Big, Black Woman.  I know there was much controversy over this portrayel of God, the One True God of the Universe, but aside from the controversy there was something I completely related to with that portrayel of God.

God has no gender but He made us in His image which means there are attributes about men and women that reflect God to us.  We are all familiar with God as a Father but seeing God with characteristics similar to a mother shed new light on God's love for me.

God is tender
God is decisive
God is joyful
God is loving
God is protective
God is nurturing
God is comforting
God is colorful
God is watchful
God is mindful
God is LOVE

I could go on and on about who God is to me so I'm focusing on these elements that I hadn't discovered or felt quite as near as I did before.  I've only come to embrace these attributes of God recently in my adult relationship with Him.

These are the attributes I need to see in God more often.  Not to forget all the other attributes of God (All Powerful, All Knowing, Ever Present, Shepherding, Sacrificial, Longsuffering and so on).  I know I will never cease knowing more about God and growing closer to Him, He is too vast and deep to ever stop pursuing.

http://files.myopera.com/canhquy/blog/god-detail2.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Awesome perspective... focusing more on the elements of Whom God is becoming to you, while growing more and more closer to Him. Love the pic too, the angle and coloring - so amazing (did you create it?).
    I look forward to coming closer to our God together in this study.
    Hugs & Prayers, hL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! But, He is an awesome God, isn't He?! I look forward to getting to know you better over the next few weeks as we grow in Christ together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea, I am so excited that you will be joining us as we come to know God in more real and intimate ways.

    God is SO many things and my prayer is that over the next several weeks we will all come to know Him for exactly who His Word says that He is.

    If you have questions or comments from week 1 be sure to email them to me by Friday, Feb. 12th at jenifer@byhisgraceministry.com

    May God continue to bless you as you seek after Him.

    By His Grace,
    Jenifer

    ReplyDelete