Preparing for 2011

Thanks to SimpleMom.net I grabbed this great little Goal Setting, dream realizing, inspirational, reflective printable. I thought I would fill it out here as we prepare for another year.

I often avoid making New Year's Resolutions, for several reasons. I suppose the greatest would be my Obsessive Compulsive need to fulfill and perfect such commitments and always feeling like I've failed to do so. Even as I write I think of all the Mondays, Tuesday, Thursdays I've missed over the last year as I wrote this blog. I cringe at the thought of not being able to fulfill such commitments perfectly. I'm not sure why I feel this way but it keeps me from trying to formulate a plan. In that same breath I love being intentional and see great value in doing goal setting and making a plan for the future, with goals and ends in mind. I love to progress, achievement, success in such things and feel like life has greater meaning when I have such ends in mind. I tend to add new things to my sort of resolution list as I go and often feel challenged to constantly make life more intentional with more purpose. MORE...why does intention have to mean MORE?

What is intentional living didn't mean MORE but rather LESS, simplicity with commitment. What if it meant a plan with achievable goals. That is what I would like. Instead of pressuring myself to blog EVERY Monday to be satisfied with blogging most Mondays. Instead of having to do teaching and school with the children everyday, I was satisfied with most days. In the act of doing such things intention can also be brought in, planning, scheduling, being prepared and ready do such tasks does not have to mean pressure to do them ALL THE TIME. Right? I want MORE of Jesus, I want MORE of my children, and MORE of Him for them, I want MORE time with Justin and MORE time with friends. But this kind of MORE must not drive me to be fully engaged, planned, busy all the time. Rather the simplify the intentionality of life and be moving, making a new path, paving a new way.

So, as I read through the printable about goal planning for 2011 I keep in mind the quiet, the simple, the achievable with a dose of reality while raising 5 children 5 and under!

1. What healthy character traits would you like to see developed in your life this year? I would like to LOVE people more and have TRUE Compassion for others in a Christ like way. I would like to develop a deeper sense of JOY in my life, a more natural JOY related to my PEACE with who I am in Christ. I would like to be more naturally inclined towards the POSITIVE, be a person who SPEAKS more TRUTH, and pour out on my family and friends ENCOURAGEMENT and APPRECIATION.

2. What books would you like to read this year? To Train Up a Child, the New Testament, & Shepherding a Child's Heart (again).

3. Do you enjoy your job, what are your favorite things about it? I LOVE my job, my calling as a mother, a wife, and daughter of God. I sometimes find it challenging and some days I wish I could start over. In my own failure to lean on Christ is fall flat on my face, which is a reminder and a calling back to the Provider, the Healer and Friend I have in the Lord.
My favorite things include all joyous activities with my children, training, learning, and renewing life through a child's eyes. I love watching them play together, hearing them laugh, and teaching them about Jesus whenever possible. I love their innocence in life and the sparkle in their eyes. It is inspirational.

4. What is one area of progress you'd like to see this year for maintaining or improving physical health? I'd like to workout at least a little more than I do now, although I make no promises especially ones so low on my priority list!

5. What are some tangible, daily choices you can add to your life that will improve your health? Drink more WATER. Buy fresher foods and cook more.

6. What is your plan for this month for starting this progress towards a healthier life? Making meal plans and grocery lists on a more regular basis, cooking more at home and eating out less, gather more recipes to try, and filling out my 100 Days to a NEW Habit, which includes drinking more Water!

7. What are ways in which you can grow in intimacy with your spouse this year?  I'd like to be more intentional about setting aside time for JUST US!  It is too rare and too precious to be left off the list of daily, monthly and yearly priorities.  I'd like to see things in Purple more often and move toward Justin in moments of fear or anger or disappointment. 

8. What Plans will you make to meet and pray and have Family Worship together?  What books would you like to read as a family this year?  We have already begun the process of having Family Worship, doing research to prepare and have goals and plans well laid that we can act upon without hesitation.  I've ordered over 20 books to read with the children concerning the theme for each months family worship and I've been so encouraged by so many sites out there that have printables, guides, goal planning, etc. to bring the spirit into our home.  I'm so blessed to be a part of a community of amazing, strong, inspirational women.  I've also downloaded a great Mission Statement guide and a fun site (thanks to simplemom.com) to do so that allows Justin and I to contemplate many things about intentional living as a family.

9.  What will deliberate, regular family time look like this year?  Mondays are Family Worship, Sunday is Church day, Friday is Family night just hanging with Daddy after him being gone for three days.

10. How would you like to see growth in your children in the following areas:
a. Emotionally-  I'm praying that all my children in their own developmentally age appropriate way can mature emotionally and there might be a little bit less whining and crying coming from them throughout the day.  Cole is tenderhearted and also strongwilled making him sensitive to things that often result in a complete breakdown.  My twins, each in their own way, are often frustrated with the days events if it deviates from our typical schedule.  They are sometimes so flexible and easy going but mostly they need to be prepared for daily change. My prayer is that doing that pays off and they find themselves enjoying each day more.  Brynnie girl...what can you say, she is almost 2.  She is the most laid back and the least demanding most of the time.  I'd love to see her bloom into a young toddler this year.
b. Spiritually- My prayer for them this year is they each come to know Jesus and more about Him and His character as we do Family Worship this year and discuss Him more.  They have been memorizing scripture and being poured over with His word. I pray it does not return void as God has promised.
c. Educationally- Cole has come leaps and bounds with learning to read and I'm so proud. This year will be full of continued tutoring, writing, reading, and math starting in February.  The twins will being tutoring in September and I desire to see them also bloom in their understanding, writing, and letter recognition.

11. How will the children be educated this year and resources you plan to use? They will be schooled at home, with assistance from Alana, the tutor we love to see.  We will be exploring Explode the Code more this year for reading and writing, and Math-U-See for Math for Cole.  I have gathered lots of online resources for printables, projects, theme based reading, etc. to utilize as well.  Then as mentioned before, we will use Family Worship to do Bible teaching starting January and February with Seeds Family Worship Themes and Printables.

12. What are your Children's Strengths? How will you help them use them?
Cole- A Leader, Smart, Strong willed, and a Quick Learner
Brody- Tender, Creative, Dedicated and a Joyful Heart
Trace- Funny, Energetic, Quick learner, and Willing to be challenged

I hope to tap into their strengths to help with schooling this year while encouraging their areas of weakness to be strengthened in the process.   For each of them their learning style is unique and homeschooling will allow for me to approach each of them differently.  I'd like to focus more on what they learn and what things we are intentionally teaching then work on implementing that in a way that suites them.

13. What are your Children's Weaknesses? How will you help them overcome?
Cole- Stubborn, Impatient, Lacks Interest
Brody- Obsessive and Distracted, and quick to Tears, a little bit Lazy
Trace- Quick to Anger, Dominating, and Lacks Follow Through

Prayer is my biggest asset this I know.  Along with daily prayer for both energy, intentionality, and patience as well as prayer for them that they will tap into their strengths I hope to encourage them verbally toward being better and stronger in how God made them.  I would like to do Training, as detailed in To Train Up a Child to set clear and concise boundaries for them as well as offer up opportunities for them to succeed in the RIGHT things.

14. What is an area of progress you would like to see in your financial health this year?  I'd like to make progress towards paying off my Father in Law for our 2010 misfortunes with unexpected expenses and then move towards saving and planning for retirement.

15. What are some of your long term financial goals? I'd like to finish the Investools Training and begin investing Justin's IRA along with making progress with our 6 month savings and retirement planning. 

16.  What are your plan this month towards better financial health? Continuing to Coupon, living on a budget, using Mvelopes to do so and saving.

New Years Goals:
1. Colossians in a Year (on the Blog)
2. Multitude Monday (on the Blog)
3. Family Worship (Mondays)
4. Meal Planning, List Making, Eating at Home
5. Drinking Water
6. Finishing Investools
7. Time in God's Word apart from 1 & 2
8. Time with Justin
9. Reading more Books (Starting with To Train A Child)
10. Saving Money God's way
11. Prayer

I'm excited about 2011.  Time is flickering by too quickly but each year brings new excitement, challenge, and a new path in this beautifully crazy journey.  I love new goals, making things clear and intentional, recollecting our thoughts about family and where God wants to take us.  In some ways I'd like to slow down and in others I feel full speed ahead, reaching out my arms as I go along to try and pull everything together!

God help me, steer the ship, plow the way, smooth the path, allow the pain only to grow us and draw us nearer to you, that our thirst will satisfied by you and not the things of this world.  Help us to find victory in the life you've called us to leave and the children you've called us to grow.  Carry us when we are weak, walk beside us when you make us strong, stand watch over our home each day, even when we fail to ask it of you.  Sink deep into our hearts, write your name on our walls and hear us when we call! Thank you God for another year to know you more.

1 comment:

  1. To add to the books in #2, I'd recommend anything by Clay and Sally Clarkson -- true mommy-inspiration with an emphasis on relying upon the Lord. I bet you'd especially like Mission of Motherhood, but Mission of Motherhood and Heartfelt Discipline you'd enjoy also.

    Have a joyful 2011!

    ReplyDelete