Out to Pasture...in with Simplicity

It is no secret that I have long dreamed of moving our family somewhere less "city" like and more "farm" like. Although I do not foresee myself as a farmers wife per say, in the traditional way, I desire for our children and our family to experience a simpler life; a life more focused on Him.  I want our life to be physically more Organic and spiritually more Organic.

I'm not sure why I think being away from the city would provide a greater opportunity to spend time with and grow in the Lord as a family, but I do.  We don't even really live in the hustle and the bustle of typical "city" life.  But, we do not live in the "country" where my children would have more responsibilities and our life would be harder work which builds more character.

I often imagine being in the "country" to instill in my children a greater compass for life.  It gives roots, direction, and a source of Love to call home.

http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photofiles/list/387/754compass.jpg

So in my dream we have some acreage, space to grow and play and make memories together.  We can plant a large garden, own some chickens, goats, and maybe a horse.  I would love to have a horse.  Lots of green grass and tall trees.  A simple yet large enough house to home school and be together as a large family. In my dream we get to drench our children with God's majesty and grace and show them how to live a life less cluttered and full of hard, rewarding work.

 http://farmama.typepad.com/.a/6a0115711cc343970b0120a6aad38e970c-pi

I desire for my children to learn responsibility, respect for hard work, training for good character and working with their hands.  I want them to appreciate caring for something, providing for something beyond themselves, and serving one another. I desire for them to have a strong sense of direction and purpose with One True North.

Then God reminds me, with a sweet whisper, that it begins with me, here.  Location can often provide greater opportunity but I must equip them in these things regardless of location.  I must turn their hearts towards Him in our present moment with our present pasture and find the blessings they ought to appreciate here in this place.  That I would find our way to the lessons the farm would give.

I need to be a shepherd here not wait till then.

I hear God's words to me as He speaks about sheep:



"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." --Isaiah 40:11

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me." --John 10:14

"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep." --John 10:11


I think about my dream. I feel God has placed it into my mind.  I can see my children laughing, playing, growing, loving, serving, worshiping...I'm driven back to the present and hear God calling to me...

"Trust in the LORD and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture." --Psalm 37:3

http://www.faqs.org/photo-dict/photofiles/list/350/702lambs.jpg

Through prayer and the softly spoken words of Mark Hamby I realized something wonderful today:
The dream, a new pasture, a yearning placed into my heart by God, is not yet fulfilled but has much to teach me. The things I desire from the "location" can begin here in this, current "pasture".  I MUST plant, nourish, and prepare my children here...now...in this place. I MUST learn how to clothe myself in Compassion here...now...in this place.  I have MUCH to learn here before we might go there, if God ever places us there.  The dream gives way to the vision of the life I desire to give my children but it is not about "location", it is about Who we Follow and What we live for.

God places us in charge over the planting but He does the growing.

http://hoipolloi.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/growing-up.jpg

"Growing things is God's business" ~Hamby


Compassion in the greek means: safe, protective and full of nourishment. As a noun it literally means "womb".
"A more specialized but common Hebrew word that yields compassion as a translation is râcham (H7355). On eight occasions this word is rendered compassion and on seven of those it describes God having compassion upon his people; on the eighth it describes a woman’s relationship to her son as an illustration of God’s relationship to his people...The noun in the singular literally refers to a womb"

In order to touch their hearts for Him, in any place or time (this pasture or the next), I must exemplify Compassion and speak to their hearts.  New Compassions each morning.


Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 
Lamentations 3:22-23


I must be like God's compassion with them, my family.  I need to put aside my crazy, perfectionist, controlling tendencies and cover them in Compassion each day.  New, unrelenting, forgiving Compassion.  His Compassion. 

Like the womb, nurturing, warm, protective, drawing them near and building them up!

 http://ih3.redbubble.net/work.2516039.2.flat,550x550,075,f.in-the-mothers-womb.jpg
That this would be the beginning of the Growing God would do in their lives. Safe, protective and full of nourishment.

I pray that in my diligence to plant them "here" in this pasture God might hear my cries to one day raise them up in a "new" pasture.  That we would live a life of simplicity in a place with room to run and Grow.


http://www.co.marshall.ia.us/zenphoto/albums/conservation/Pasture%206-06-1.jpg


1 comment:

  1. I love your blog---and this post! What a great reminder--how truly great is God's faithfulness. -Pauline

    ReplyDelete