One Thousand Gifts

I have so much to be thankful for as I sit and consider what I will be praising God for tonight.  I sometime don't know where to start.  There are moments that I find that I'm so selfish, envious, covetous, and have a feeling of entitlement.  I instantly pray and ask that my heart be softened to see God's grace in my life, His gifts, blessings, annointings, and faithfulness.  I've been meditating upon the grace and mercy of God over the past few weeks.  Isn't it the very foundation of all He has done for us?  Grace in that He gives us those things which we do not deserve, Mercy for not giving us the things we do deserve, such as death.  I and sad for those who do not know this Jesus.  My heart breaks for the times that I do not appreciate knowing this Jesus and taking it for granted. 

When I considering the blessings God has placed into my life I sometimes find myself thinking, "I can't write that one, that is small and silly."  I strive to think of BIG things God does for me.  In that quest I lose sight of the small but significant gifts He has given to me.

So, tonight I dedicated my gifts to the Small yet Significant gifts God has place into my life and my families life that often go unnoticed and unmentioned.

God's Abundant Gifts
17.  A comfortable bed to sleep in
18. The ability to shower each day
19. A table to eat at with my family
20. More than one pair of jeans to clothe myself with
21. Electricity and running water
22. Green grass for my children to enjoy
23. An office to work in
24. The ability to read and write
25. Beds for my children to sleep in
26. A car to drive-no matter the year, make or model
27. A washing machine and dryer to clean my clothes
28. The ability to hear and make music
29. Water to drink
30. Shoes on my feet

I know they seem small and often "givens" in our privelaged American life.  There are few people I know personally who go without the blessings mentioned above.  But, the reality is that in parts of the world those blessings are unheard of.  How rich are our lives and I often don't even consider such simplicities as blessings.  Shame on me! 

Along with not appreciating the small things, I too fall victim to the lie that life must be busy, we must be going, doing, and rushing.  I often find myself filling our schedule.  I LIKE to be busy. Not TOO busy but busy.  I call it LIVING.  But, there is a fine line that the enemy likes to blur when it comes to staying busy, we tend to miss the beauty and the opportunity that lies in the quiet.  I've tried to spend more time at home with my children.  To take in the daily opportunity to watch them grow and live.  This has been challenging for me because I like to go out and DO things with them.  But, when we are out and doing I cannot take as much care to instruct them and guide their path.  Each moment offers opportunity to teach them something but being still and quiet gives more opportunity in a controlled environment.  It allows everyone to remain peaceful.  When we are TOO busy I PRAISE God less.  I have less time to stop and lift up thanks to Him.  I pray the Lord would help me find the right balance between being busy and doing it unto HIM, praising Him in all things, and being peaceful at home.  That I might find the blessings in all moments. I found a great quote on At the Well:

Each moment I have with these children.
Each moment I have to honor and submit to my husband.
Each moment I am given to love and serve another.
Each moment I pray or sing or praise.
Michelle a Contributing Author at At the Well

I pray God would continue to remind me of the vast richness of my life (in the busy times and the quite) and His abounding blessings. May He also remind you!




No comments:

Post a Comment