Discretion

I was moved by the post on At the Well the other day in which the writer talked about discretion. She states, "Discretion is something we all like to think we practice, yet we know there are times when we speak badly of our husbands or our children or our mother-in-law and discretion gives way to venting which gives way to a drippy faucet of complaints.Sometimes we take the “high road” and do our complaining without mentioning names. We stand on our proverbial soapbox and rant and rave about certain behaviors that bother us while envisioning one particular person, who now anonymously stands condemned through our words.We may not be physically “wandering about from house to house” in this age of technology, but we most certainly have the opportunity to mentally wander in and out of websites saying whatever we please along the way." 

I love the part about Drippy Faucets of complaining.  I totally do this.  I condemn others with my words while thinking I'm remaining above board by not mentioning names.  Why do I do this?

God is so clear about how we use our mouths and our words.  There are reminders galore about having a tame tongue and restraining our lips.  It is so hard to keep our words under control.

I often wonder what type of example I'm being for my children?  They certainly don't need any assistance with talking too much!  It almost comes naturally for them.  In our human nature our words seem to flow without much regard for the path of distruction it leaves behind.  We must reform our lives, our words, and develop discretion. 

Please Lord help me to have a tongue with honors and uplifts You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment