Motherhood-what IS my life

Today I read the most wonderful entry from The MOB Society. MOB stands for Mothers of Boys and they offer a perspective to mothering that is specific to the world of boys. They are unique creatures with special callings in life. Raising them to be men is a high calling for a mother and a family. I appreciate their time and encouragement when it comes to raising boys to love Jesus.

Today one of their contributing writers put into words what I often feel. She first quotes Sally Clarkson’s The Mission of Motherhood: Touching Your Child’s Heart for Eternity:

“As it is, after eighteen years of learning the truth of living sacrificially, I have found that embracing God’s call to motherhood once and for all has brought me great peace. Instead of seeing fusses and messes as irritations in my day, for instance, I am more likely to see them as opportunities to train my children to be peacemakers and to learn to be responsible for their own messes. Instead of resenting the interruptions in my schedule, I am more likely to accept them as divine appointments. More and more, I have learned to see my children through the eyes of God and to accept the stages of growth through which he has designed them to grow.”

She writes:

How can my children be an interruption to my life when they ARE my life?
The fresh love and perspective He is bringing through Sally’s words is truly changing our everyday life. I find myself wanting to linger reading just one more book before naps or bedtime. A simple day can become so special when I work with the boys on a new game or craft or Bible verse.

“There’s always something that can replace time with your kids, but you’ll never regret time with your kids.”

I love this reminder.  In a house full of boys and one wild and crazy boy-like girl I often fall victim to forgetting they ARE my life and each moment is a teachable opportunity.  To take a little longer to linger with them, exchange touch with them, express love to them, and when the going gets tough see it as a chance to ignite their hearts.  They are clay and God has placed me to be the molder for Him. 



Mothers of Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment